An active shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined and populated area, typically through the use of firearms.
PHILIPSBURG:--- As a result of the ongoing “mass murder” investigation which took place at the very popular “Pulse Night Club” in Orlando Florida on Sunday June 12th at approximately 02.00 a.m. the management team of the KPSM is extending sincere words of sympathy and strength to the family and friends of the victims involved.
This type of unfortunate event which on many occasions can be linked to”terrorism” is on the increase worldwide and all law enforcement agencies should take this quite seriously in order to be best prepared if they should experience should an event.
The KPSM SWAT-team participates every year in the World SWAT-challenge which is held yearly in Orlando, Florida. During this challenge different SWAT-teams from different countries challenge each other in the latest arrest tactics and techniques. The KPSM SWAT-team has also done training with the Orange County SWAT and other law enforcement agencies in the United States. Because of the very close work relation and trainings the KPSM highly commends these laws enforcement agencies for their professionalism and bravery in dealing with the situation on Sunday last.
The KPSM also provides all of its officers with the “Integral Profession Training” which is given several times yearly by qualified internal instructors who are well equipped to give these trainings. The Integral Profession Trainings are compulsory and are kept to have their personnel better prepared to deal with these situations if such an event should take place.
Even though having a well trained police force to deal with an “Active shooter” event is important, the key to minimizing the amount of casualties is to have a well-informed community, on the steps they should take if such an event occurs.
The KPSM is providing the community with the following safety tips.
In the event that an active shooter is in your vicinity you must be prepared to both mentally and physically deal with the situation. You have three options:
1. Have an escape route and plan in mind.
2. Leave your belongings behind
3. Evacuate regardless of whether other agree to follow
4. Help other escape if possible
5. Do not attempt to move the wounded
6. Prevent other from entering an area where the active shooter may be.
7. Keep your hands visible
8. Call 911 when you are safe.
1. Hide in an area out of the shooters view
2. Lock door or block entry to your hiding place
3. Silence your cell-phone (including vibrate mode) and remain quiet
1. Fight as a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger
2. Attempt to incapacitate the shooter
3. Act with as much physical aggression as possible
4. Improvise weapons to throw items at the active shooter
5. Commit to your actions.... You life depends on it.
When law enforcement officers arrive
. Remain calm and follow instructions.
. Drop items from your hands (i.e. Bags etc.)
. Raise hands and spread fingers
. Keep hands visible at all times
. Avoid quick movements towards officers, such as holding on to them for safety.
. Avoid pointing, screaming or yelling
. Do not ask questions when evacuating
Information to provide to 911 operators:
. Location of the active shooter
. Number of shooters
. Physical description of shooters
. Number and type of weapons shooter has
. Number of potential victims at location.
KPSM Press Release.