To minimize inconvenience, maintenance in residential areas is scheduled during the week from 9:00 am - 4:00 pm, when most residents are at work. Commercial areas will be upgraded during the weekend, ideally when most businesses in the area are closed. Maintenance starts at the scheduled time to minimize downtime for our clients. Changes in schedules are sometimes necessary due to bad weather; updates will also be posted on our website, Facebook page and via email.
"We want the public to understand that these outages are not due to equipment malfunctioning or failure, but is scheduled maintenance necessary to maximize reliability, efficiency, availability and durability of the GEBE electrical distribution network", said Cherryl Lambooy, GEBE's Corporate Communication Officer. Transformer houses are an important part of the electrical distribution network. Switches and other technical gear can be affected by moisture, corrosion and wear and tear. Cosmetic maintenance to the transformer house itself, such as painting and small repairs, will also be carried out.
Residents and businesses can prepare by ensuring they have enough fuel for their back-up generators. Other tips to prepare for an outage are:
- Unplug any sensitive electronics.
- Turn off all lights and electrical equipment. Leave on only one light or radio to alert you when the power has been restored
- Try to minimize the time your fridge and freezer are open to keep the cool air in.
- Gather any flashlights and check spare batteries.
- Visit www.nevgebe.com or www.facebook.com/nvgebe for the latest updates.