Causeway Swing Bridge Opening Times Announced
SIMPSON BAY:--- In an effort to alleviate traffic on the island, St. Maarten has completed the construction of the new Causeway in Simpson Bay. Situated on the Dutch side of the island, the causeway improves accessibility to Simpson Bay, Princess Juliana International Airport, Cole Bay and Marigot by connecting the airport and the east bank of the Simpson Bay Lagoon. The causeway spans 760 meters and accommodates two lanes of traffic with protected sidewalks on each side, a bicycle track and a swing bridge at its center.
Motorists can enter the causeway via two round-a-bouts, one located at the Airport Road near the end of the runway and the other on Union Road near the border. The causeway's swing bridge allows boats and large yachts to pass side by side through two navigating channels during set opening times. The bridge stands at a height of 6.2 meters when closed and has a width of 23 meters, controlling depth of 6 meters and is VHF channel 12.
Opening 15 minutes apart, the Causeway Swing Bridge also serves as an alternate route in the event that the Simpson Bay Bridge is inaccessible.
The following is a schedule of the Causeway Swing Bridge and Simpson bay Bridge opening times:
Causeway Swing Bridge
- 8:15 hrs - In & Outbound traffic
- 9:45 hrs - In & Outbound traffic
- 10:15 hrs - In & Outbound traffic
- 11:45 hrs - In & Outbound traffic
- 15:15 hrs - On Call for In & Outbound traffic
- 15:45 hrs - In & Outbound traffic
- 17:15 hrs - In & Outbound traffic
Simpson Bay Bridge
- 8:30 hrs - Outbound traffic
- 9:30 hrs - Inbound traffic
- 10:30 hrs - Outbound traffic
- 11:30 hrs - Inbound traffic
- 15:00 hrs - Inbound traffic
- 16:00 hrs - Outbound traffic
- 17:00 hrs - Inbound traffic