Transformational Business Combination Establishes Strong International Growth Platform; SOL’s
Simpson Group to Own 9.9% of Parkland
Calgary, Alberta, October 10, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Parkland Fuel Corporation (“Parkland”, “We”, “Our” or “Us”), (TSX:PKI) Canada's largest and one of North America's fastest growing independent marketers of fuel and petroleum products and a leading convenience store operator, and SOL Limited have entered into an agreement to complete a business combination (the “Business Combination” or “Transaction”) between Parkland and SOL Investments Limited (“SIL”) and its subsidiaries (collectively, “SOL”). A privately-held company owned by the Simpson Group, SOL is the largest independent fuel marketer in the Caribbean and a wholly-owned subsidiary of SOL Limited.
SOL supplies and markets a total of 4.8 billion liters of fuel volume annually across 23 countries in the Caribbean and generated US$215 million (approximately C$280 million) in adjusted earnings before taxes, depreciation, and amortization (“Adjusted EBITDA”) in the 12-month period ending June 2018.
The Transaction will result in Parkland acquiring 75% of the issued and outstanding shares in the capital of SIL (the “SIL Shares”) for total consideration of US$1.21 billion (approximately C$1.57 billion) plus customary post-closing adjustments on a cash-free and debt-free basis (the “Purchase Price”), and SOL Limited acquiring 12.16 million common shares in the capital of Parkland (the “Parkland Shares”). This equates to a purchase price multiple on the 75% equity interest in SOL of approximately 7.5x Adjusted EBITDA, excluding working capital. Upon closing the Simpson Group, through its ownership in SOL Limited, will own approximately 9.9% of the issued and outstanding shares in Parkland and its intention is to remain a long-term investor in Parkland. The Transaction is expected to be immediately accretive to Parkland’s distributable cash flow per share by approximately 17% (pre-synergies).
The remaining 25% of the shares outstanding in SIL are subject to the Minority Purchase/Sale Right (as defined below) pursuant to which Parkland may elect to acquire or SOL Limited may elect to sell the remaining shares in the capital of SIL. Based on SOL’s Adjusted EBITDA for the 12-month period ending June 2018, the Adjusted EBITDA attributable to Parkland from the 75% ownership stake in SOL would have been US$161 million (approximately C$210 million), representing 75% of SOL’s Adjusted EBITDA for the period.
Parkland President and CEO Bob Espey said, “The addition of SOL will extend our global supply reach and enable us to continue to build our supply advantage to benefit our entire business. With its integrated supply chain backed by an extensive distribution network, fortress assets, a premier brand portfolio and an exceptional team, SOL has built a strong market position with unparalleled regional scale. Together, Parkland and SOL create a significant North American and Caribbean growth platform. We are delighted to partner with the Simpson Group and welcome the opportunity to work with SOL’s strong management team to optimize and grow SOL’s industry-leading retail and supply network through our combined scale and expertise.”
Sir Kyffin Simpson, CBE, Founder of SOL Limited said, “I am exceptionally pleased to announce the coming together (Business Combination) of Parkland and SOL, which will ensure an exciting and dynamic future for everyone. With a desire to continue to develop and grow the business through expansion in new areas, I am extremely blessed to bring in our good friend's Parkland of Canada to the Caribbean. I have long admired Parkland as a company with their futuristic vision and energy, and I have been tremendously impressed with Bob Espey’s strong leadership along with his exceptional management team.”
“I am truly confident that this coming together with the fantastic team at SOL will be a complementary blend of cultures, ideas, technology, and innovation. I am convinced that Parkland and SOL are perfectly matched to develop new and exciting opportunities, with a renewed energy that will provide excellent avenues for the development of our people that will, in turn, enhance our customer experience and open new doors for great synergies and improved logistics. With forty-three million people and a GDP of more than US$200 billion, this is the perfect time to take advantage of the tremendous opportunities that abound in the Caribbean.”
“This coming together will also provide a big boost of confidence for regional investment opportunities and we are happy to do our part in this regard. Please, therefore, join with me in welcoming this wonderful team and organization to the region. I pray God’s richest blessings on this coming together and I look forward to what the future has in store for us all. ”
Chief Financial Officer Mike McMillan said, "The scale of the pro-forma business combined with the strong cash flow from operations and operational synergies expected from SOL will further strengthen Parkland’s balance sheet and capital structure. The financing for the Transaction will enable Parkland’s pro forma total leverage ratio to remain below 3.5x. In addition, Parkland will be in a strong position from a balance sheet and capital structure perspective to continue to execute on our growth strategies.”
• The addition of stable earnings from 526 retail stations (266 company-owned or company-leased sites and 260 dealer owned and operated sites);
• Provides an opportunity to roll out Parkland’s private label, loyalty, and enhanced food offer;
• Positions Parkland to access supply at scale in the US Gulf Coast, creating future growth opportunities and supply advantage in the US Gulf and Atlantic coasts for Parkland USA (in addition to our continued focus on the US Northern Tier and Rocky Mountain regions);
• Total identified annual run-rate synergies of approximately 20% of SOL’s Adjusted EBITDA over the next three years;
• Pro forma net debt to Parkland Adjusted EBITDA of approximately 3.2x on a consolidated basis with a strong deleveraging profile; and
• The SOL operating brands will remain in place, and the SOL business will retain key management and continue to be managed from the Caribbean.
Parkland and SOL Limited, the sole shareholder of SIL, will enter into a shareholders agreement that grants a call right for Parkland and put right for SOL Limited (collectively, the “Minority Purchase/Sale Right”), pursuant to which Parkland may elect to acquire or SOL Limited may elect to sell the remaining 25% portion of the issued and outstanding shares in the capital of SOL (the “Remaining Shares”) at a value of 8.5x the Adjusted EBITDA of SOL based on the then current audited financial statements. The Minority Purchase/Sale Right will be exercisable by either party for a period of 90 days following the release by Parkland of its audited financial statements for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2020 (or December 31,
2021 in the event that closing does not occur on or before December 31, 2018). The Minority Purchase/Sale Right will be exercisable annually thereafter by either party for a period of 90 days following the release by Parkland of its audited annual financial statements.
The Transaction is subject to the receipt of customary third-party consents and regulatory approvals, including approval of the Toronto Stock Exchange. Closing of the Transaction is expected to occur in late Q4 2018.
• Through strategic acquisitions and organic growth, SOL has built ‘fortress assets’ in stable markets across the
• SOL is the largest independent fuel marketer and convenience store operator in the Caribbean region, with more than 4.8 billion liters of annual volume and approximately US$215 million (approximately C$280 million) in estimated Adjusted EBITDA (excluding expected synergies);
• Provides comprehensive and key infrastructure in the Caribbean region to extend and enhance Parkland’s supply advantage and expertise;
• Adds significant scale to Parkland’s retail and supply businesses;
• Provides increased exposure to stable earnings across multiple lines of business;
• Provides diversification from the North American market;
• Significantly contributes to Parkland’s US dollar cash flows;
• Positions Parkland to access supply at scale in the US Gulf Coast, creating future growth opportunities and supply advantage in the US Gulf and Atlantic coasts for Parkland USA;
• Supports acquisition and expansion opportunities in the Caribbean region and broader Americas; and
• Opens Parkland’s business to global supply advantages to benefit existing and future business opportunities.
SOL Retail Business
• Represents approximately 2.0 billion liters of annual volume with operations in 20 countries;
• Includes 526 retail stations (266 company-owned or company leased sites and 260 dealer owned and operated sites); and
• Operates 197 Shell-branded retail stations and 163 ESSO-branded retail stations and enjoys a long-standing relationship with both premier retail brands in the Caribbean. SIL also operates 93 SOL-branded stations, which enjoy excellent recognition in the Caribbean.
SOL Supply and Distribution Business
• SOL’s infrastructure assets include 32 import terminals, 7 pipelines, 3 marine berths and 10 charter ships;
• Enables SOL to achieve superior supply economics in the Caribbean region as it is the largest fuels marketer with an integrated supply chain;
• Primary objective is to supply the SOL marketing business and any spare capacity is sold to third parties;
• Chartered vessel fleet provides SOL with inter-island transportation and distribution capabilities;
• Owned and leased terminals enable intermediate storage for large fuel cargoes across the region;
• Geographically close to US Gulf Coast supply, one of the longest refined product markets in the world;
• Ownership of 29% non-operating financial stake in the entity that owns and operates the SARA Refinery located in Fort-de-France, Martinique (the “SARA Refinery”). The capacity of the SARA Refinery is 16,000 thousand barrels per day; and
• SARA Refinery owns and operates all the pipelines, ships and terminals required to supply refined products to
Guadeloupe, French Guiana and Martinique.
SOL Commercial and Industrial Business
• Represents approximately 1.8 billion liters of annual volume with operations in 21 countries;
• Supplies gasoline, diesel, fuel oil, LPG (propane) and other petroleum products to commercial and industrial customers in the mining, power generation, manufacturing, construction, transport and hospitality industries;
• Lubricants segment represents 21 million liters of annual volume and operations in 18 countries;
• Distributes Shell and Pennzoil-branded lubricants and is the largest licensed distributor of Shell-branded lubricants in the Caribbean;
• LPG (propane) segment represents 47 million liters of annual volume and operations in 10 countries;
• Distributes LPG (propane) direct to customers under the highly recognizable SOL Energy brand; and
• Distributes LPG (propane) to other distributors and governments under various supply agreements.
SOL Aviation Business
• Represents approximately 600 million liters of annual volume with operations in 13 countries;
• Operates in most countries through joint ventures with various third parties. Joint ventures are structured to enable maximum utilization of high cost fixed assets; and
• Jointly owns airport terminals and infrastructure in several markets.
The Transaction and related fees and expenses will be financed by Parkland with a fully underwritten financing package:
• Debt financing of approximately C$1.1B underwritten by Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce and National Bank of Canada as Co-Lead Arrangers and Bookrunners consisting of:
o C$470 million of senior secured bank debt, a US$250 million (approximately C$325M million) term loan and a term facility of C$300 million.
• SOL Limited will provide approximately C$518 million equity financing through its investment in Parkland:
o Parkland will issue 12.16 million Parkland shares to SOL Limited from treasury as partial consideration for the Business Combination at a price of approximately C$42.62 per share, representing the 5-day volume- weighted average price of Parkland’s common shares on the Toronto Stock Exchange as of market close
on October 9, 2018. After closing, SOL Limited will own approximately 9.9% of the issued and outstanding common shares in Parkland.
Parkland expects to replace the term facility with alternative longer-term debt prior to the closing of the Transaction.
Investor Event and Conference Call Information
Parkland will host a webcast and conference call at 6:30 AM MT (8:30 AM ET) on October 10, 2018, to discuss the Transaction. Parkland’s Senior Leadership Team will be available to take questions from securities analysts and investors following their formal comments.
Please log into the webcast slide presentation 10 minutes prior to start time at Webcast: https://edge.media-server.com/m6/p/gxyt5yny
To access the conference call by telephone, dial toll-free (844) 889-7784. International callers should use (661) 378-9928, Conference ID: 1558797. Please connect approximately 10 minutes before the beginning of the call. The webcast will be available for replay one hour after the conference call ends. It will remain available at the link above for one year and will
be posted to www.parkland.ca.
A link to the live webcast and investor presentation will be available on the Investors section of Parkland’s website at