MP Omar Ottley Breaks Silence on Arrest; Prosecutor’s Office Says Investigation Continues.

omarottley0052024PHILIPSBURG:---  Member of Parliament Omar Ottley on Monday publicly addressed his arrest for the first time, strongly denying allegations tied to an ongoing public assault investigation linked to an incident at Carnival Village during the opening night of Carnival 2026.

Speaking during a live interview, Ottley described the events leading up to his arrest, accused authorities of attempting to damage his reputation through sensational headlines, and questioned the timing and handling of the investigation. His comments came shortly after the Prosecutor’s Office issued an official statement confirming that his brother, Mhalik Ottley, had been released from custody by order of the Court.

The case has generated significant public discussion over the arrest of a sitting Member of Parliament, the role of the National Detectives (Landsrecherche), and the legal procedures governing investigations involving elected officials.

Ottley Claims He Tried to De-escalate Carnival Altercation

According to Ottley, the incident in question occurred on April 11, 2026, during the opening night festivities at Carnival Village. He stated that his brother was seated at a family booth when another man allegedly approached aggressively and was asked to leave the area.

Ottley said he personally attempted to calm the situation.

“I did absolutely nothing,” Ottley stated during the interview. “I was trying to stop the situation and asking the individual to leave.”

The MP explained that after the individual was escorted away by booth security, the man allegedly returned carrying a knife and rushed toward his brother, sparking a physical altercation. Ottley claimed the disturbance was eventually broken up by security personnel.

Approximately an hour later, according to Ottley, the same individual allegedly returned with relatives and friends, resulting in another confrontation.

Ottley said his role throughout the incident was to separate persons involved and prevent the situation from escalating further.

“I kept telling people to stop,” he said. “The cameras in Carnival Village will show that I didn’t touch anyone.”

Claims of Extortion Attempt

During the interview, Ottley also alleged that shortly after the Carnival incident, persons connected to the matter contacted him seeking money before filing a complaint with the police.

According to the MP, a woman called him and informed him that those individuals intended to go to the police and media unless financial compensation was provided.

Ottley said he refused because he maintained he had done nothing wrong.

“They called me first asking for money before going to the police,” he alleged. “I said they would have to do that because the cameras would show I did nothing.”

The MP did not provide evidence publicly supporting the claim, and authorities have not commented on the allegation.

Arrest at Family Home

Ottley recounted that on Friday morning, May 15, while preparing to take his daughter to the airport for a school trip, police officers arrived at his residence with an arrest order.

He said officers informed him he was being arrested in connection with allegations of public violence and handling stolen goods.

The MP emphasized that the National Detectives conducted themselves professionally during the arrest and questioning process and stated he did not blame the police officers involved.

“I don’t blame the police,” Ottley said. “The detectives were respectful and professional.”

However, he questioned why authorities chose to arrest him publicly instead of requesting that he voluntarily appear for questioning.

“They could have called me in,” he said. “The motive was the headlines and the publicity.”

Ottley claimed the intention was to create sensational media coverage and damage his public image both locally and internationally.

Explanation of “Handling Stolen Goods” Allegation

Ottley also addressed allegations concerning “handling stolen goods,” which he said stemmed from jewelry reportedly lost during the altercation.

According to the MP, relatives of one of the individuals involved later contacted him regarding a missing chain. He explained that after the disturbance, items left behind had been collected and placed at the booth, as often occurs during crowded Carnival events.

Ottley said he later returned one of the chains to the family after being approached about it.

“That is what they are calling handling stolen goods,” he stated. “I returned the property because I was asked to hold it.”

He argued that his actions were intended to help return belongings to their rightful owner and not conceal stolen property.

Prosecutor’s Office Clarifies Legal Procedure

Meanwhile, the Prosecutor’s Office issued an official press release on Monday confirming that Mhalik Ottley had been released from detention following a decision by the Court.

According to prosecutors, the Court determined that continued detention was unnecessary for the investigation to proceed and that Mhalik Ottley would remain available to investigators if required.

The statement noted that both Omar Ottley and Mhalik Ottley remain suspects in the ongoing criminal investigation.

Authorities confirmed that both men were arrested, one by National Detectives, and the other by KPSM, on May 15 in connection with an alleged public assault at Carnival Village.

The Prosecutor’s Office also responded to public concern regarding the arrest of a sitting MP.

According to prosecutors, Sint Maarten law allows the arrest and investigation of parliamentarians under the same procedures applicable to any suspect. However, before formal prosecution of an MP can proceed, the Prosecutor’s Office must first obtain authorization from the Joint Court of Justice.

“With regard to the MP, who remains a suspect in the investigation, it should be noted that under St. Maarten law, the investigation and arrest of a parliamentarian follow the same procedures applicable to any other suspect,” the statement read.

“The distinction is that the Prosecutor’s Office must obtain permission from the Joint Court of Justice before formal charges can be brought against an MP.”

The Prosecutor’s Office further stated that no additional information would be released while the investigation remains ongoing.

Ottley Suggests Political Motivation

Throughout the interview, Ottley repeatedly suggested the investigation was politically motivated and tied to ongoing political developments in St. Maarten.

The MP referenced previous controversies surrounding his screening process for public office and prior public allegations made against him, arguing that repeated attempts have been made to damage his reputation.

“There’s always an attempt to create a narrative around me,” Ottley said.

He also linked the timing of the case to broader political maneuvering, claiming opponents are attempting to weaken his political future.

“They are trying to create a narrative that if the government falls, I cannot become Prime Minister,” he alleged.

Ottley did not provide evidence supporting the claim of political interference.

Brother Released by Court

The release of Mhalik Ottley on Monday became another major talking point during the interview.

Ottley argued that if authorities possessed strong evidence against his brother, the Court would not have ordered his release.

“The judge said they cannot hold him for robbery because it made no sense,” Ottley stated.

He maintained that surveillance footage and witness testimony would ultimately support their version of events.

Calls for Equal Application of Justice

The interview concluded with both Ottley and the program host emphasizing that if crimes are committed, individuals should face legal consequences regardless of status or position.

Ottley stated that he supports lawful prosecution where evidence exists, but insisted justice must be applied fairly and according to proper legal procedures.

“If someone commits a crime, they should face the consequences,” he said. “But justice must follow the law.”

The MP also indicated that he intends to pursue legal action against individuals he claims falsely accused him during the investigation.

The investigation by the National Detectives and the Prosecutor’s Office remains ongoing.