St. Martin News Network

Thursday
Jul 31st
Text size
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Jamaican Murder Suspect to be Arraigned on Wednesday --- Victims Died of Severe Blood Loss.

Email Print
User Rating:  / 4
meyshanejohnson24092012Philipsburg:--- Meyshane Kemar Johnson, the man police believe murdered the American couple Michael and Thelma King in their Cupe Coy Beach home last week will be led before the judge of instruction on Wednesday confirmed Attorney General of St. Maarten Taco Stein in press release. Stein said the autopsies on the bodies were conducted on Tuesday and they were subsequently released to the family. St. Maarten's Attorney General said based on the preliminary findings the pathologist said the Kings died from severe blood loss due to stab wounds they received from the culprit(s). SMN News contacted Attorney General Taco Stein to gain further information. When asked by SMN News how many stab wounds the victims received, Stein said that in the interest of the investigation that information will not be released. SMN News then asked if the suspect confessed to the gruesome murder and robbery he is suspected of committing last Wednesday evening, Stein said that the suspect told police some things but he is not talking much about the killing of the Kings.
Meyshane Kemar Johnson was born in Clarendon Jamaica on December 16th, 1983. He was an employee of Checkmate Security Services on St. Maarten. It is not yet known how long Johnson has been living on the island and where he worked before, but he is listed as a mechanic in his home country.


Updated press release issued by Public Prosecutor's Office concerning Cupe Coy Murder Case.

On Tuesday the bodies of Michael and Thelma King, who became victims of a violent crime last week, were released to their family members. The suspect in this case, 28 year old M.K.J., who was arrested last Sunday morning, will be led before the judge on Wednesday.
The prosecutor prolonged the first term of custody (two days) today with another eight days. On Wednesday, the judge will check the lawfulness of the arrest and the prolongation of the custody.
The prosecution discussed the preliminary results of the autopsy with the family members. In the interest of the investigation, no details can be divulged on the outcome of the autopsy nor the conversation with the family.
On Tuesday afternoon, the forensic material that was secured on different locations was discussed amongst prosecutors, the forensic department, and a representative of the Dutch Forensic Institute, NFI. The selected items will undergo forensic research at the NFI in order to establish whether relevant evidence or leads have been detected.
Police also questioned several witnesses on Tuesday. The suspect has been further interrogated but on advice of counsel chose not to speak at this point.
No information was received on either tip-line so far. The public is called upon to inform the police on any information that could be helpful to the investigation.
For local calls: please call 9300.
For calls from abroad: please call: +1-721-542 0345

Statement From The Government Of St. Maarten on the Cupe Coy Murder Case.

The Government of St. Maarten has reported that a suspect has been successfully apprehended by local police in connection to the American couple found dead on Friday, September 21. The government and police force worked around the clock, taking swift and decisive action in order to bring down the full weight of the law onto the alleged perpetrator, who has now been identified as a Jamaican national living in St. Maarten.

In an earlier statement, the honorable Sarah Wescot-Williams, Prime Minister of St. Maarten, echoed the sentiments of the people of St. Maarten when she thanked the "entire police force and in particular the team that worked on this investigation. As a nation, we are proud and indebted to you. I am particularly proud by the way that you have acted under the stress which must have been present all during this ordeal. I know your work is far from over, but to hear personally from the family of the victims how professional and compassionate the detectives and police officers have been all along, has given me immense pride in our 'men and women in blue'. Thank you!

"To the family of the victims, I again express my deepest condolences on behalf of the Government and people of St. Maarten. May God grant you and our nation strength during the times ahead," concluded the Prime Minister's statement.

The Government of St. Maarten will release additional details of the case pending the completion of the police investigation.
Last Updated ( Tuesday, 25 September 2012 22:56 )